Babblings

Please proceed with caution. Hazards may lie ahead. Some material may not be suitable for children. Viewer discretion is advised. Please follow the "Netiquette" hyperlink (just below here and to the right) for some notes on the customs of this blog.

5/21/2005

The Rapist

Here's a funny little story about the first time I went to see Dr. Clayson (PhD) during my junior year in high school:

My mother and I were standing around in his waiting room for my first appointment. This was a 3-hour psychological exam (I got a 132 on the IQ Test). My mom's a nervous wreck because the evil Dr. Downs (that's a whole 'nother post...) told her I was a deviant who had smoked marijuana and tried LSD; in fact, I might even have organic brain damage! (I think he wanted to sign me up for some ECT). Hence, the psychological testing.

So, we're standing around looking at this bulliten board with these little, hand-drawn faces, but only the eyes are filled in. (I wish I had a hyperlink or picture for you) All the little faces have labels underneath, like "Schizophrenic", "Paranoid", "Alcoholic", "Manic", "Depressed", etc. The eyes were supposed to represent the different psychological maladies (I hope you get the idea). There's one little face all by itself at the bottom of the thing we're looking at, but this one has no eyes, just ears. My mom looks at that one and says, "Oh, look at 'The Rapist'."

Dr. Peter Whybrow, M.D. mentions, in his book A Mood Apart, that the average BP spends 10 years in "therapy" and goes through 3 "therapists" before being finally diagnosed (Third time's the charm?).

Considering how many people needlessly suffer while most of these "therapists" have no clue, what my mother said makes sense.

©2005 hpb©creations

3 Comments:

At May 21, 2005 6:23 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

I love that professional diagnostic tool: the sad/happy/smiley face! That reminds me of an experience my b/f had at the VA. He briefly attended some sort of substance abuse group and the therapist, who talked like Elmer Fudd, had this gaggle of broken-down vets drawing smiley faces for when they were sober, and sad faces for when they were using. She then said: "You all did vewwy, vewwy good. Now let's that a look at what you dwew."

Unfortunately for her, one refreshingly honest guy had drawn a happy face for when he was using, and a sad face for when he was sober.

"Oh, no, no, no!! That's vewwy vewwy bad!"

Yep, we've come a long way...

 
At May 22, 2005 6:45 AM, Blogger Preston said...

Again, LMAO!

Why can't we feel what we feel? Why do we have to feel what we are supposed to feel?

 
At June 10, 2005 10:03 PM, Blogger Rob said...

I haven't seen a profession in which the phrase "Healer, heal thyself" applies better. Psychologists and psychiatrists start with psycho... bunch of nuts, although most won't admit it. --Imagination is the brain of the soul.-- rob

 

Post a Comment

<< Home