Babblings

Please proceed with caution. Hazards may lie ahead. Some material may not be suitable for children. Viewer discretion is advised. Please follow the "Netiquette" hyperlink (just below here and to the right) for some notes on the customs of this blog.

5/22/2005

Comments On, Frustration Off

I tried three times to post this as a comment on a post from Ice. I finally found the glitch. I guess it's kinda long, so maybe it's better I moved it over here anyway.


Let's get it on:

Hello Ice,

Don't get me wrong; I am not one of your school teachers, but I would like to offer a little constructive criticism up front (going against the better principles of Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends & Influence People.

Part of what I do for a living is work with people and companies to help them improve their flow of information (quit thinking about menstruation). The Internet is a fantastic tool for this. The visual medium, for one, kicks ass. After all, seeing is believing.

I believe, and have seen, that movies and television have dominated our culture, and more recently the world, for decades. The Internet, now in it's infancy, is the mutant offspring of a cyber mánage a trios between movies, television, and computers. Wait until it reaches puberty....

There is a reason for this incredible, and rapid, take over and dominance by these forms of media:

Moving pictures, flashing lights, and buzzing sounds.

There is strong scientific evidence (I'm too lazy to go find a hyperlink, but if you ask me, I will get you one) that light and sound affect the development of the brain. Just ask the anti-sex-and-violence-on-TV people. (Heh-Heh, I just thought of Kyle's mom in South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut; Oh crap, that reminds me that Team America: World Police is out in stores and I was not first in line to buy it. Damn blogs, sucking away my whole life...)

Secondly, the use of hyperlinks brings instantaneous access to the references you mention in a post. Since the Internet inherently has the aforementioned incredible influence over our brains, why not use it to its full extent. I can't wait until that bitch reaches her Sweet 16; she's going to be a man-eater...

If this were my blog (and I had had those experiences), here are some of the things I would have done:

1. Used more hyperlinks: GNC, Gold's Gym, Jefferson Security Bank

2. Given a hyperlink and/or address for contacting the corporate offices of the Jefferson Security Bank:

Jefferson Security Bank
PO Box 35
Shepherdstown, WV 25443

Maybe even throw in a few phone numbers for good measure. (You never know what Internet psycho might want to give them a call...)

Ditto for Gold's Gym:

Gold's Gym International, Inc.
358 Hampton Drive
Venice, CA 90291

Ditto for GNC:

GNC Corporation
300 6th Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222

3. Dispatched letters and/or email to all the corporate offices, and, maybe, posted them here for others to see and cut-and-paste for themselves to use on their blogs, email, letters, faxes, etc.

Check out PlanetFeedback, it's one of my faves.

BTW, do you mind if I post a hyperlink to your blog on mine?

As for the content: Awesome! I Laughed My Ass Off! (LMAO) Oh yeah, the thing about the "packages" of personal trainer time at Gold's: This is a classic bait-and-switch; it's illegal in most states. Contact your state's Attorney General and report them. Also, I don't know what state you live in (well, actually I do), but minimum wage here in (doing my best Arnie imitation) California is $6.75 per hour (and that's still just above the national poverty level).

Overall, good job. I give it a B+ and a 1 for effort. (Better feedback than from most of the asshole teachers I've had in life; you'll probably read about that in a later post on my blog.

For the professional advice: That'll be $650. You can PayPal it to me.... LOL

©2005 hpb©reations

6 Comments:

At May 23, 2005 10:17 AM, Blogger Michael Tiguar said...

Would it be okay with you if I wanted to use the contact info for those you provided for GNC, Gold's, JSB, and the Attorney General on my blog?

 
At May 23, 2005 6:27 PM, Blogger Preston said...

Hey Ice,

Thanks for reading my post.

Thank you very much for asking if you can use stuff from my post on your blog, but it is not necessary.

That's what I put it there for.

Once it's on the Internet, it's in the public domain, in my opinion. However, I do have three caveats:

1. Give credit, where credit is due.

2. Don't try to make money off other people's work.

3. Don't be a bandwidth leech.

Thank you for shopping with hpb©reations, please come again soon.

 
At June 05, 2005 8:57 PM, Blogger Michael Tiguar said...

Could I add a link to your blog? By the way, I've missed your presence. It's been boring with no comments.

 
At June 09, 2005 5:50 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Yes, Henry is very wise about the hyperlinking stuff. It's a real bitch to add all the codes, but it takes the blogging thang to a whole new level. Thank goodness H revealed the awesome mysteries of the hyperlink code to me! Now I can use it early and often for my own nefarious ends.

 
At June 19, 2005 10:04 AM, Blogger Preston said...

Elvira and Ice:

Thanks for the compliments.

Yeah, I love the devious things hyperlinks allow me to do >:-I>. For ease in coding I highly recommend TypeIt4Me. It's a masterful little program that will make life with Herman a whole lot easier. It will surely facilitate all the ferocious flaming that takes place here on the blogs.

Flame on, Cyber Queen and Ice Man!

{heh heh}

 
At June 20, 2005 8:15 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

H:
>
> Excellentissimo! Wow, I loved that flaming link.
> Fascinating to see how it's perceived as a whole
> cyber-socio-cultural phenom.
>
> Here's one thing I really love about Blogger--it's a
> little comfy cozy cyber-community. You can click on
> a
> commenter's link and check out their blog, comment
> there too, etc. Everyone wins.
>
> And of course there's our own little psycho-blog
> ring.
> We stick together, baby!
>
> Yeah, great comments from all on the art snob too.
> Way
> to go, H!
>
> E

 

Post a Comment

<< Home