Babblings

Please proceed with caution. Hazards may lie ahead. Some material may not be suitable for children. Viewer discretion is advised. Please follow the "Netiquette" hyperlink (just below here and to the right) for some notes on the customs of this blog.

7/05/2005

Death to Lowe's


Boycott Lowe's Immediately



Ice, I feel your Primal Pain, man!

I have just returned from that most loathesome of mega-sized shopping places, Lowe's. That place is a total fucking NIGHTMARE!!

OK, let's get the vitals out of the way; here are the details on the particular Lowe's store in question:

Lowe's of C. Ventura, CA #1734
500 South Mills Road
Ventura, CA 93003
805-675-8800 (phone)
805-675-8803 (fax)

Here's a map:



Now you know where to send your letters, phone calls, and firebombs of complaint.

OK, here's what happened:

I've been to the Lowe's in my town 3 times since it opened. I thought the last time was the last time. My wife and I got some Lowe's gift cards as wedding gifts from some of our friends. Now, usually free money is great, but when it comes with a headache, that kind of kills the joy. I finally was able to spend the remaining balance on, what I thought was, the last card.

But, nooooo! Recently, I discovered one last card with some money on it. I needed some plywood to build shelves out in the laboratory, so I figured that couldn't be too hard to accomplish at Lowe's. Famous last words.

I head to Lowe's, gift card in hand. I know exactly what I want, and the nice person on the phone said they cut the plywood for free. So far, so good. I get to the store and the first person I see is Pimples (the summer-employed high school kid who physically pushed me away from the cable cutting machine on my last visit there); I avoid him and head straight to the lumber section. I find the size and style (not to mention unwarped) plywood I want, but there's no one around to help me move it. An 8-foot by 4-foot sheet of 5/8 inch plywood is kinda heavy and very unwieldy for a single person to manipulate; nevertheless, I manage to get the wood all the way from the front of the store to the rear, where the plywood saw is located. I push the button for assistance (yeah, like that's going to work), check my watch and wait 12 minutes. While waiting, I read the signs on the machine, and I am confused as to whether this is self-serve or not. I walk all the way back to the front of the store, ask a lady at the Contractor's Service Desk if the machine is self-serve. She says no, and gives me the stink-eye. I get about half way back to the machine, and some employee runs up and says he's gonna cut the wood for me. Wow, I didn't even have to ask. Hmmm, maybe it'll be a good day after all.

Uh oh, I wished too soon. The guy is futzing with the saw, getting it ready for the cuts; he pushes the start buttton and, POP! He blew the circuit breaker on it. I'm thinking, "All right, just a few minutes, and we'll be back on track.

Uh oh, I wished too soon. The guy starts explaining to me about how the circuit breaker is really far away, and he doesn't want to deal with it right now, so he won't be able to cut my plywood....

WHAT THE F*%$ ?!? I just wasted an hour because some asshole is too lazy to go flip a switch to make the machine work? UNACCEPTABLE!!

I leave that moron in mid-sentence (he can put those two sheets of plywood away) and immediately head to the Customer Service Desk. I wait another 11 minutes in line to ask for the money off the card. A cute, summer-employed high school girl is the unfortunate soul who has to deal with raging, hypomanic Henry as he begins to explain how he wants the money off the card because he refuses to shop at Lowe's ever again.

Uh oh, I wished too soon. She calls over a mananger; he must be the twin brother of the guy from the late night smoke shop of The Cost of Living Keeps Going Up fame. He has the same dull look in his eye, just like Blaster:



He starts telling me that he can't give me the cash for the card. I let him know that I would not be shopping at Lowe's anymore and that I will be taking my money elsewhere. He says that it's company policy, and that's there's nothing he can do. I explain to him, and several people within a 30 foot radius, that the customer service on every ocassion I have been in the store is deplorable. He offers a very weak, insincere apology, but never asks what today's problem is. I explain that the idiot in the back is too lazy to flip the circuit breaker on the wood cutting saw, so I have wasted 45 minutes of my time (an hour after driving back home empty-handed), and that's wholly unacceptable! The bozo still couldn't catch a clue; he starts in with some kind of aggressive attitude, so I look at his name badge and say, "Listen, Sean, Zone Manager, I will be sure to let Lowe's Corporate know that you were unwilling to assist me with my customer service complaints today." To that he replied all huffy that he didn't care and that I would just have to take it up with corporate. I snatched my gift card away from his fat little webbed fingers, and proceeded to the nearest exit.

To add insult to injury, Sean followed me out of the store all posturing like he was going to kick my ass if I tried to vandalize anything on the way out of the store. Don't worry Sean, I won't be trashing the store on my way out; I'll just find out where you live and make sure the cops know that it is a secret meth lab.

So, I'll be writing a little letter to Lowe's corporate and demanding my money off that gift card. I will never shop at that Hell hole ever again!

I'll come back and post the letter for the whole cyberverse to see after I am done composing it.

BTW, I'm not the only one complaining about the nastiness that is Lowe's: check out the Consumer Affairs website about Lowe's.

©2005 hpb©reations

5 Comments:

At July 05, 2005 8:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can sooo relate. My hubby and I do constant work on our home and are in that Lowes about 4 times a week. He brings me with him just to be a mule and help him load materials because he can never get any help. Its so sad that mega stores like these have made it virtually impossible for the little mom and pop stores to stay in business. Sometimes you may have to pay a bit more at the small stores,but its worth it to get great customer service and maybe a bit of advice on a project.
mamamia

 
At July 06, 2005 7:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Henry,

For some reason the dirkas in town started acting up
again. Maybe they just got back from their summer
vacation and are all riled up? Who knows?!? I was just
catching up on your blogs... That's pretty shitty about
Lowe's. Imagine that the store manager outranks you,
and can punish you, and you get a small idea of trying
to get anything done in the Army. The doctor outranks
you. The supply guy outranks you. The IG (inspector
general) who you take gripes to outranks you. If I
were in Lowe's, I'd have marched back to the damn saw
and cut the shit myself, until help came running down
the aisles. That would be an appropriate way of drawing
attention to yourself. Have you seen the movie The
Big Lebowskey
? If not, I highly reccomend it. I love
the character Walter, played by John Goodman, and how
he goes ape shit on the lady at the coffee shop when
she asks him to mind his language. "My buddies didn't
die face down in the muck...." Check it out, you'll
see what I mean. Thats how I felt when this big dick
cop tried to hassle ME on leave from Iraq! It wasn't
pretty. I about wanted to be arrested to prove my
point and make a huge stink about things. Well, If you
get a chance check it out. If you've seen it, you know
what I mean I'm sure....

Take care man, I feel for ya....

 
At July 07, 2005 9:43 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

H:

Great cyber-muckraking! I don't have a Lowe's near me, unless you count Lowe's cinemas--any connection? But I've seen their nicey-nice commercials--LYING SCUM!

The only thing that seems to come close for me is Duane Reade. They are ubiquitous in NYC. It's hard to avoid them or resist them, because they've run out most of the little pharmacy/health and beauty supply places, and they lure you in with their "sales sheets." If you use your Club Rewards card, you can allegedly save a lot of money. But you have to watch 'em like a hawk, I tell ya!

When/if I go to get cigs there, they can't seem to figure out what cigarettes are, where they're located, and the diff between menthol (yuck) and lights and regulars. They also felt it necessary to inform me that I don't get any Club Rewards points when purchasing these vile coffin nails. Man, another blow for smokers!

The guards are usually cool--though they don't do much of anything-- but they did detain BG one time when he walked in carrying meds he'd just gotten from the VA. For some reason, the alarm went off, and he had to tell them to keep their freaking hands off him. Just the scenario for a paranoid schizo. Sheesh.

Also: I noticed that the hierarchy there is very rigidly divided between young female cashiers and male "managers." The clerks/cashiers are usually nice, but the "managers" are surly and indifferent. They do a lot of male macho posing, while the cashiers do all the work. They often have no clue as to how to correct a price snafu, and pretty much shrug their shoulders at the hapless customer's dilemma.

But Lowe's sounds like a real nightmare. Glad you're speaking out against the lazy, incompetent scumbags. You go, H!

 
At July 27, 2010 2:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate that large super-stores like Lowes, Home Depot, and Wal-Mart have forced most of the smaller hardware and lumber stores out of business. Having to hike around a multi-acre store to get 3 different items is a major nuisance. I normally find that the employees are helpful though.

You sound like a very obnoxious person, so getting bad service is likely a common occurrence that you have come to expect at most stores. If you were to smile and be polite to others, then you might be very surprised that people treat you differently.

Did your mother ever teach you how to say or spell "P L E A S E", or "T H A N K Y O U" ?

If I were the sales person, only the fear of losing my job would prevent me from telling you to stick the sheet of plywood up your ass.

Greg

 
At July 27, 2010 7:25 AM, Blogger Preston said...

Greg, it took you over 5 years to get here and make that asinine comment?

Do you know anything about me? Or, my mother?!?

No? Then, PLEASE go fuck yourself. THANK YOU.

(Did I spell them right?)

 

<< Home