Babblings

Please proceed with caution. Hazards may lie ahead. Some material may not be suitable for children. Viewer discretion is advised. Please follow the "Netiquette" hyperlink (just below here and to the right) for some notes on the customs of this blog.

7/10/2005

Letter to the City Manager

Here's a letter I wrote to the Ventura City Manager, Rick Cole:




July 10, 2005


Rick Cole, City Manager
City of San Buenaventura
501 Poli Street, Room 205
Ventura, CA 93002

Dear Mr. Cole,

I am writing to you today in reference to your Commentary piece in the Ventura County Star on Sunday, July 3, 2005, page B13.

As I read the piece, I began to have an unsettled feeling. The more I read, the queasier I became, and the less easy it became for me to swallow your hypocritical rhetoric.

I agree that a vibrant democracy requires getting involved. That is why I am very involved in watching you and select members of the City Council. While I am not able to attend every City Council meeting (I don’t get paid $74.52 per hour to attend them like you do, yet you still can’t seem to make it to all of them), I do faithfully watch the video recording of each week’s City Council meeting.

You find the language of our Constitution quaint? Perhaps you think you can update the Bill of Rights with your brand of modern thinking. I guess you would know what’s better for the citizens of America than the creators of the longest standing democratic system of government the world has ever known. By the way, I really like your ultra, post-modern, twice-ripped quote about “government of the people, by the people and for the people”; you truly are pomo!

Your feel good, new-age-speak about moving our city into the 21st Century and being the model of urban growth for a new era may inveigle the ill-informed masses you disdainfully refer to in your Commentary, but I’m not one of them. I’m not swayed by your hypno-talk of unpolished gems hidden within the city. Where? Your (I should say our) new home, that you happen to live in, must be on top of a diamond mine.

It must be nice having your select friends on the City Council authorize the purchase of half your home at $36,000 above the listed price of $639,000, since you can’t afford it on a salary of $155,000 a year (4.2 times the national average; 3.7 times the state average), plus benefits and perks. Mr. Cole, 15 months ago you could have bought a 4-bedroom, 2-bath home in my neighborhood for under $500,000; then, you could have used the $75,000 for a down payment and paid your own mortgage, like the rest of us working stiffs, instead of over-building on your current lot. Or, is it that the “executive housing” that you discourage because it won’t really bring any business to our model city of the 21st Century, should be reserved for only the highest level city bureaucrats, like yourself? By the way, the $325,000+ given to you for your home, could put a 3% ding in the annual $9,000,000 Municipal Budget shortfall you mention so often. Care to help the rest of us out of a tight situation?

While I won’t be trying for City Council this fall, I will be running a campaign this fall: A campaign to inform all the citizens of Ventura about the lack of transparency, the disparaging remarks made by you and certain members of the Council after citizens from the public avail themselves of the time allotted for public comments at the Council meetings, and the blatant violations of state and local laws.

Even though The Ralph M. Brown Act (California Government Code §§ 54950-54962), which the City of Ventura’s own Council Protocols claim to follow, indicates that the proceedings of public meetings be fair, I have witnessed many actions by certain city staff members and particular Council members that are in direct violation of this state mandated law. You can be sure that I will be requesting remedies to these violations, and when those remedies are not enacted, I will be informing State Attorney General Bill Lockyer of the violations here in Ventura. I have also witnessed many violations of the Council Protocol by select members of the Council, which are disrespectful to the proceedings and the members of the public whom are addressing the Council. These will be included in my video-graphic evidence presented during the campaign to clean out City Hall this fall.

I try hard to take an active role in local government. I just find it difficult when no one in City Hall will give me a straight answer to simple questions; it’s really difficult when most of the City Council will not give me an answer at all. Like one of the stated goals in The Basics for a Good Life in Ventura (the “ABC’s” brochure), I aim to increase voter turnout this fall as well, except I intend for the citizens to be informed about the odious activities of select incumbents and why they should be voted out of office. Hopefully, your new bosses will do us all a favor and relieve you of your duties.

I find it repugnant that you even mention the Global War on Terrorism, and the efforts that are underway to instill self-governance and democratic elections world wide, which are currently focused in Iraq. I have a friend serving in the Army; he is stationed in Mosul, Iraq, risking his life, so that you can live here in quiet Ventura and criticize the people (your employers) for not knowing, what you get paid $2980 a week to know, about city governance. My friend is on the other side of the world, fighting Islamic extremists, making sure that we continue to have something to celebrate on the 4th of July.

I’m wishing that you and your family had a restful 4th of July celebration; the nearly constant two-week barrage of all-day explosions and all-night colorful sky displays that upset the dog and frightened the cat disrupted ours. Maybe you could direct the police to respond to calls about a dangerous nuisance, and fire hazard, like illegal fireworks purchased in the City of Fillmore, and then used by residents in a neighboring city where Class C fireworks are illegal. I hope your reference to “lighting fireworks” was not an advocacy of such illegal activities.

What do you think, Mr. Cole? Am I just another ill-informed, self-serving citizen filled with anger, impatience and venom?


Sincerely,

Henry P. Babcock


PS: I’m still waiting for a reply, from anyone at City Hall, regarding the progress of the development of the policy regarding Citizen Generated Content on, what Mayor Brennan called, “the people’s website”. Many of the citizens of Ventura would like to utilize a valuable resource that our tax dollars pay for. It’s been over three months, and no one has answered a single email I have sent requesting information on the formation of this policy, which Mayor Brennan stated was being developed. Even you have not responded to my email, which you said you would reply to during the Westside Community Council Meeting on July 7, 2005. I’m trying not to be angry or impatient, but three months with no response is a long time to wait.

Cc: Mayor Brian Brennan, Deputy Mayor Carl Morehouse, Councilmember Christy Weir, Councilmember Neal Andrews, Councilmember Bill Fulton, Councilmember James Monahan, Councilmember Sandy Smith, Congressman Elton Gallegly, Senator Barbara Boxer, Senator Diane Feinstein, President George W. Bush, Joe Howry, Stephanie Kinnear


Click to see scan of actual letter

Click to see scan of original clipping


©2005 hpb©reations

10 Comments:

At July 11, 2005 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be responding shortly to your inquiry about policies regarding citizen posting to the City's web site.

I don't know and it doesn't much matter whether the kind of harsh language and carelessness with facts you employ in your web site (firebombing Lowe's?) is reflective of a style you think is effective at getting attention or that you are that mad at the world. But I don't think my time is best used responding to the many errors, misunderstandings and misrepresentations in your web posting. Yes, Mr. Babcock, you do seem to being practicing the sort of blunderbuss personal attacks that would better be channelled into constructive community problem-solving.

Rick Cole
City Manager
City of San Buenaventura
"California's New Arts City"
501 Poli, P.O. Box 99
Ventura, CA 93002-0099
(805) 654-7740

 
At July 11, 2005 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting letter to Mr. Cole. I respect your right to voice your opinion, and admire your ability to communicate. I also appreciate your interest in City government. From what I've observed at City Hall, Mr. Cole is attempting to steer a large bureaucracy toward some goals most Ventura citizens agree on. But I'm always open to constructive criticism and a healthy debate.

Sorry nobody got back to you about your city website idea. I'm not sure what Brian meant by it being the "people's", but your idea about giving people a forum for addressing issues has merit. I'm not sure that's the traditional function of a government website, but hey, thinking outside the box is what we need sometimes.

Christy Weir

 
At July 12, 2005 9:08 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

H:

Rick Cole looks like a Dick Hole! Oy, that photo, that moustache--looks shady, alright.

 
At July 12, 2005 2:24 PM, Blogger Preston said...

Now now, Elvira. We should judge people based on their words and actions, not on appearances. It's not pertinent that Mr. Cole has a cheesy bar-code hairstyle or Hitler-esque moustache; we need to focus on his actions and statements to the public, about the public, but NOT for the public. Actually, we should admire his über-pomo recycling of these poor tastes.

 
At July 12, 2005 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As someone way outside the picture, states and states away, I can tell you it would've looked better for him to have explained at least a little of the numbers and where he thinks you've made mistakes, as opposed to just writing them all off as incorrect. That's the problem with most politicians, they don't feel the need to justify anything. Once it's done, it's done. Underhanded or not. It's a shame.

 
At July 13, 2005 6:57 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Hmmmm....perhaps Mr. Ass Cole needs a good dressing down from Governor Schwartzenegger. I'll bet he'd have some "constructive community problem solving" tips for this girly-man. Maybe something like this:

Mis-tah Cole: you vill no longer attack Herr Babcock and poison our community wis your ee-fil vays. I had to leef my fah-therland to get avay from mustaches like yours. I'm going to pump...you up!

 
At July 13, 2005 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAO! Omg, now I can't get the accent out of my head.

 
At July 14, 2005 9:58 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Henry, this is a masterpiece! Totally validated by the quick unsubstantiated retort from Mr. Cole.(and I use the Mr. in the loosest possible way). Good politicotitian, deny everything without getting into details. ->But I don't think my time is best used responding to the many errors, misunderstandings and misrepresentations in your web posting.<- So without pointing out any of them I'll tell you: You are wrong.->seem to being practicing the sort of blunderbuss personal attacks that would better be channelled into constructive community problem-solving.<- I think you ARE gearing your efforts in the right direction =>> I aim to increase voter turnout this fall as well, except I intend for the citizens to be informed about the odious activities of select incumbents and why they should be voted out of office. Hopefully, your new bosses will do us all a favor and relieve you of your duties.<<= Maybe you should detail more of his activities and let's watch him wiggle out of that one!

 
At July 22, 2005 3:32 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

OK. Let's address the most important stuff first.

WHA HOPPEN WITH THAT COLOR PHOTO, BABY??

I clicked on the link to the actual article, and the photo there looked almost like a different person--at least ten years younger. Shades of Dorian Gray! There, he looked so young, so sweet, so innocent and vulnerable, I just wanted to give him a great big hug and maybe even a big wet kiss (oh wait, he's married with kids...shit!)

But the color pic...OMG! H, did you take this shot of him in an off moment, right after one of the "people" bitched to him about something "insignificant"? The moustache that looked so charming before has metamorphasized into an ugly, hideous growth, which to me seems to symbolize the attempt of many politicians and elected officials to "muzzle" the truth.

And the expression--the pained smile as if he's eaten dung from the dogrun in your local park, or endured one of your relentless "tirades" at the council meetings, or is contemplating your upcoming "smear" campaign (note that I included dung and smear in the same sentence)...oh my!

OK, the guy may never look like Gov. Ah-nold, but he could at least have hired someone to do maybe an artsy shot--like the Meet the Beatles album cover or something--sort of a half in the shadows thing (apt!), brooding and pondering over his sacred duties to the peeps!

The photo perfectly matched the petulant whining in his post. Hey, H, at least he read your blog and responded!

Now, Henry--you know Mr. Hole...ahem, Cole doesn't have time to respond to your blunderbuss at length. He has a fancy new house to look after! Have a little respect..sheesh.

C'mon, H! Get involved and informed, would ya, before you start maligning poor Mr. Cole. That was bewwy bewwy naughty of you! You hurt his feewings! You bad, bad boy!

 
At August 03, 2005 7:00 PM, Blogger Preston said...

Thank you all for dropping by and providing input. As always, comments are very much appreciated, but never required.

Recent events have shown me that I must make some changes in my life. One of my advisors said something about swinging the pendulum the other way.... I’m now working on putting a little yin back into my yang filled life.

However, before I take some of those first steps on what will be a long journey, I would like to tie up some loose ends.

I should mention that I had a huge, scathing reply to some of the comments from above. I realize that they were very much of the wrong ilk. I will not be showing them here. However, I would like to offer, to any and all who ask, a glimpse into what that junk is like. I will freely email a copy of the erstwhile comments to anyone who asks, but I will not be posting that dreck here. Please see the end of this comment for instructions on getting a copy.

Now for something very simple: Mr. Cole, if you are reading this, I do have a short question for you. It won’t take much time. Here goes:

May I see a copy of your reply to the gentleman mentioned in your Commentary?

To receive a live, hyperlinked MS Word copy of the fetid former comment, please send an email to: sbdivemaster1@yahoo.com. Please put "Lemme See" in the SUBJECT line, and allow 72 hours for delivery.

Train not for selfish reasons, but for all people everywhere.
--- O Sensei

 

Post a Comment

<< Home