Babblings

Please proceed with caution. Hazards may lie ahead. Some material may not be suitable for children. Viewer discretion is advised. Please follow the "Netiquette" hyperlink (just below here and to the right) for some notes on the customs of this blog.

7/25/2005

My Ass is on Fire!

On my favorite blog, Shithouse Rat, Elvira recently ranted about some serious ass burning issues. Among other things, Elvira is pissed about the treatment and portrayal of people with mental illness in our society. Shortly thereafter, I followed up with my own brand of rant about the disparagement of the mentally ill, even by the "scientific" community.

The source for my addition to the Binder of Bizarre has done it again! Is every other week at Parade Magazine bash the loonies week?

Read this:


Here's an email I sent to Walter Scott, the columnist responsible for that week's CRAP:

From: Henry
Subject: Images of Einstein and son(?s)
Date: July 16, 2005 2:20:33 PM PDT
To: personality@parade.com

Dear Mr. Scott,

I read the Personality Parade column almost every week. I have a question about an item that appeared in the July 10, 2005 column.

In the piece on Albert Einstein's children:

http://archive.parade.com/2005/0710/0710_personality.html

you explained that Hans, the older son, did have a successful career as an engineer and professor at Berkeley. This was accompanied by nice pictures of Hans and his pops, Albert. You also covered the story of Eduard, the younger son.

I was quite dismayed at the implication that Eduard was a failure in life due to his mental illness. You did not even have the decency to indicate whether he was still alive or not. The really insulting part was that there was no picture of Eduard included in the short piece.

Here's my question:

Was the exclusion of a picture of Eduard due to lack of there being any, or because you don't want to put a picture of a "psycho" in your column?

Henry Babcock


I am still waiting for a response.

Hey, did anybody just see that flying pig?

Maybe everyone should write Walter Scott an email and let him know how you feel.

Allow me to close with some facts:

There are more than 2 million people over the age of 18 in the U.S. who suffer from BP.

There are less than 1.2 million people of all ages living with HIV/AIDS.

Where's our quilt?

PS: My advisors have recommended a softening of the blog; one said something about the pendulum swinging the other way.... I tend to agree. In the near future, I will be balancing out some of the yang of late with a little bit of yin. Stay tuned...

UPDATED INFORMATION:



Hail fellow cybernauts!

I definitely got a nice helping of aloe vera to soothe my blistering butt burns. This came to me in the form of the BEST radio station I have ever listened to. Allow me to present a responsible media agency that is the bipolar opposite of the above mentioned wretched trash rag:



I was turned on to the JACK by a good friend, Mama Mia. I had 93.1 FM preset on my car for the occasional trip to Hell-A, but that was back in the days of The Arrow. It’s been a while since I drove down that way, so I was unaware of the phenomenal music I was missing until Mama Mia saved me.

Anyway, I was heading for a visit with Dr. Bill, L.Ac. (it’s his last name) for some of his artistic needle wizardry. On my way, I’m relaxing with a little JACK in the car. While listening, I hear one of those goofy Station ID blurbs they have, except this one was not so funny:

You don’t have to be schizo to like JACK FM, but it helps.

I thought I was going to crash the car! I recovered and made it to Dr. Bill’s office safely. I had a nice trip to the place with no name, so I was able to get home and give a little call down to JACK HQ. I spoke with Carlos in the Promotions Department; he listened patiently to my concerns and directed me to email the wise and wonderful Mr. Ebbot. Here is what I wrote:

From: Henry
Subject: One of Your Station ID Blubs
Date: July 26, 2005 3:09:40 PM PDT
To: Chris Ebbot

Dear Mr. Ebbot,

Your email address was given to me by Carlos in the Promotions department. I just got off the phone with him, and I am hoping he talks to you about the phone call we had and the subject of this email.

I want to start by saying that I love Jack FM. I used to listen to Arrow once in a while, but mainly I listened to the Octopus 95.9 FM out of Ventura for the classic rock format. A friend told me a few months ago about Jack. It's what I listen to now almost all the time. I love the new format!

I was driving around earlier today (11:25 AM to be precise) listening to Jack. A station ID blurb was broadcast right around then. It said:

"You don't have to be schizo to like Jack FM, but it helps."

Are you familiar with this station ID blurb?

I want you, and the Station Manager, Mr. Federman, to know that I am mentally ill. I have been diagnosed with Bipolar 2 Disorder (BP2).

Here are some more facts:

There are over 2 million people in the US over the age of 18 who have the same condition I have:

NIMH Stats

In ALL age groups, there are 1.2 million people who have been diagnosed with HIV/AIDS:

CDC Stats

Since BP is a genetic life long illness, I can safely say that there are more than twice as many people who have BP than have HIV/AIDS.

When we start adding in people with Depression and Schizophrenics, the numbers sky rocket.

The mentally ill in this country, and the whole world, do not have parades in our honor; we do not have a quilt that travels the country in our honor; we do not have movies stars speaking out in support of our illnesses. In fact, we have movie stars like Tom Cruise bashing mentally ill people like Brooke Shields, the doctors which help us, and the medications which sometimes help us. He gets boat loads of media attention, and no one will dare stand up to him and tell him he is wrong, and he needs to SHUT THE HELL UP!!!

We do not need to have your radio station contributing to the misinformation about us, or the attitude that we are a joke to be laughed at.

I am asking you to never play that station ID blurb ever again.

Sincerely,

Henry Babcock
(Address Deleted)
Ventura, CA
805-80X-XXX7

PS: Do I sound mentally ill to you?


I thought, "Yeah, like they’re really gonna care what I have to say… bunch of insensitive louts!"

OK, here’s the good part:

I swear, in less than 20 minutes my phone rang, and Mr. Ebbot was on the line. He was very apologetic; they pulled the blurb immediately. Whoa!

I try to be as quick to praise, as I am to punish. Here is the email that followed our phone conversation (please note the time on both emails):

From: Henry
Subject: Thank you
Date: 4:01:54 PM PDT
To: Chris Ebbot

Dear Mr. Ebbott,

I want to thank you very, very much for your immediate response to my concerns.

I am actually still in shock a bit from the speed with which you responded.

I LOVE JACK FM!!

I will be singing your praises all about town.

You know who to contact if this is an issue your station might like to take a lead on.

Here is my blog address:

www.henrypbabcock.com

If you like, or don't like, what you see, I invite you to comment. Anonymous, pseudonym, or real name, it does not matter. I am just interested in the community dialog. If you want, take a look at the "Netiquette" post and sign up for Blog Alerts:

Netiquette

Please be aware that the pendulum is swinging the other way, and I will be softening up the blog; I will be balancing out some of the yang with a little yin soon. Look for posts on music, movies, art, gardening, pets, and even a few crazy science "experiments". Most of this will have a community service flair, so I think people will enjoy it. Also, I would like to point you to some of the links to other blogs I enjoy. Shithouse Rat is my particular favorite.

Thank you again, and I'll keep listening!

Sincerely,

Henry Babcock

PS: Did you see my letter in the paper last week:

Letter to Editor

There's a whole lot more, if you are interested.


There you have it folks! In less than 1 hour, these guys had realized their mistake, admitted it, and took action to correct it. Simply awesome!

I feel kind of bad that I made them pull one of their Station ID blurbs, so I am offering a solution to help fill that deep, empty void they must all be feeling down there at JACK HQ. How about using the following blurb:

You don’t have to be a chameleon to like JACK FM, but it helps.

(I know it’s kind of lame, but ID blurbs are really not my forté.)

I’d also be willing to do a PSA for the station concerning BP and/or MI in general; this could even include an on air endorsement from me, and I could tell the story of how JACK FM is sensitive to their listeners needs and concerns (even though they don’t take requests... LOL).


If you live in the psychedelic zone shown above, set your #1 preset to 93.1 FM, and break all the others. You won’t need to listen to anything else!

Thanks to all the crew at JACK HQ.

©2005 hpb©reations, except the 93.1 JACK FM crap!

18 Comments:

At July 25, 2005 11:33 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

Oh, H--you're my fave rave too--and raving lunatic LOL.

That was a great stat about mental illness and HIV/AIDS. I was just watching a show about teen killers (Columbine, etc) and how parents sometimes refuse to note the warning signs, being in total denial about the possiblility that their child could be mentally ill. Although I would hasten to add that most MI people do not commit horrific crimes, my point is that, as they pointed out, there is still plenty of ignorance, denial, and stigma attached to mental illness, and it makes me mad. Though of course, it's probably natural to fear it to some extent--losing one's mind, or watching someone else lose their's, has to be one of the most terrifying and horrific phenom one could imagine. But denying your own child help and hiding your head in the sand seems disgraceful to me.

But anyway, perhaps the author really didn't have any pix of the other bro--or maybe they were not fit for human eyes once they locked him up.

The lack of response is typical--but perhaps he thought this was just a crank message from some psycho (LOL)!

Don't ever change,

E

 
At July 26, 2005 9:14 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Yeah, Henry! Go for the ... ummm ... that veiny thingy that is the main deliverer of blood to the brain. He won't feel it, doesn't seem to have much of a brain anyway. Maybe he won't reply so he doesn't have to acknowledge the error and have to print a correction that would go something like this. Correction: in Parade Magazine of July 10, 2005. I wrote about Albert Einstein and his 2 sons. Hans (1904-73) and Eduard (1910-65). I have been accused of insensitivity toward mental illness because I didn't put a picture of Eduard and of not indicating whether he was still alive. The date thing is the easiest. If I wrote that he was born in 1910 to 1065, I guess he's dead and done for. As for him being a failure, well, in my book anyone who couldn't become a professional like me, still has to live with mommy not to care of her but her to care for you is a failure. As to the picture, well, it's more important to have the pictures of the important guys, also, he was so blah that I didn't think he amerited his picture in my column.

 
At July 27, 2005 8:37 AM, Blogger Judith said...

Hey, I was watching the special about rampage killers, too. I thought it was pretty good. I for one would not like to be able to get a gun, unfortunately I do not have any previous criminal or civil offenses, so I guess that option is still open. J/K, I thought the special was respectful, as I recognize some people really do need other people to make there decisions, even if I will never be one of them.

Oh, and about your post...sorry I was distracted...That blurb out of Parade was totally bogus! I will get right on a writing a semi-coherent email along the lines of yours. BTW, any response yet?

 
At July 27, 2005 6:22 PM, Blogger Michael Tiguar said...

I think you were referring to the jugular. If that doesn't work, there is always the pineal gland. I think that Pat Benatar would support that.

 
At July 29, 2005 11:42 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

H:

Hmm. That response time was pretty impressive. Maybe they envisioned a bunch of psychos picketing their station and didn't like the horrific vision that brought to mind (LOL).

Now me, personally? I didn't really find that station ID too offensive. BG is schizo, and he didn't think it was. It reminded him of the old NYC Crazy Eddie commercials, where this--well--crazy looking, wild eyed, fast talking guy rants about how they will beat any price out there on electronics. The tag line was: "Crazy Eddie--his prices are INSANE!"

I think humor rocks, but many people will laugh until the joke is directed toward their special interest group. (Remember the fracas over at Shitrat about gay "slurs?") But as for me--look at the name of my blog--I'm here, I'm demented, get over it!

I am more "offended" at TV shows that portray all mentally ill people as deranged psychos who push people onto subway tracks because they decided not to "take their meds." But the station ID thing was kind of cute--made me feel like they were saying they were a psycho station, and proud of it, which sounds cool to me.

Just my two cents from the loony bin.

 
At July 30, 2005 6:25 AM, Blogger Preston said...

I will start off by saying that I see the humor in their ID blurb, and I actually thought the blurb was funny. However, the line needs to be drawn.

Elvira, I think you should know damn well know that I'm an not just interested in issues that only affect me directly. Should I have left the SWASTIKAS in the park? Maybe I should have taken out an ad in my local fluff rag asking everyone to come and enjoy the message of hate spread by that shit. How would you have felt if I just laughed and said, "Oh well, I'm not Jewish. They don't bother me."

Those TV shows offend you? Well, how do you think those writers got the idea that it was OK to portray people with MI in the disparaging light they do? Because society sends a subtle message that it's OK to do that.

Two cents won't buy shit in this world.

 
At July 30, 2005 6:28 AM, Blogger Preston said...

PS: Don't worry, I won't quit trying to change public opinion about many issues. I'll just continue doing it by myself, as I always have.

 
At July 30, 2005 11:42 AM, Blogger Michael Tiguar said...

Question: why no link to my blog?

 
At July 30, 2005 1:21 PM, Blogger Preston said...

Fuck you, Ice. Take your self-absorbed bullshit someplace else!

 
At July 30, 2005 6:26 PM, Blogger Michael Tiguar said...

Say goodbye.

 
At July 30, 2005 6:42 PM, Blogger Preston said...

I said goodbye to you long ago, Ice.

Maybe you'll understand one of these:

Adios, Sayonara, Ciao, Aloha, Alu'a, Totsiens, Mirupafshim, Ma'a ElSalama, Menak Parov, Khoda Hafez, Kenavo, Adéu, Farvel, Adieu, Au revoir, Auf Wiedersehen, Shalom, Zai jian, Ha det, Adeus, Lar-korn, Dovidenia....

>;-C

 
At July 30, 2005 8:14 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

H:

I would think that swastikas would be an affront to any American, not just Jews. Many, many non-Jews were also murdered by that anti-Christ maniac.

My point is that you tend to think it is ok to make "fun" of other groups, and can't understand when they get up in arms. That's why we have the First Amendment--if no one could say anything that might offend anyone else, we might as well cut out our vocal chords and chop off our fingers.

As I've said to you privately, I think humor is the best defense, offense, and revenge. Think Mel Brooks' the Producers and Springtime for Hitler. Capiche?

No one will sew us a crazy quilt. Each group has to do this for themselves. But humorless outrage and super-sensitivity for one's own cause is not fair, in my opinion, unless one is super-sensitive to everyone else's. So either we all tiptoe around each other in PC lockstep, or perhaps we try to lighten up a bit. Or not.

 
At July 31, 2005 6:06 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Henry:

I am very upset that I've upset you, my campadre and dear friend. Let me see if I can get wriggle myself out of this one...LOL.

OK, one thing I must say is that although Tom Cruise is a fucking asshole dickhead ignorant putz, there are a number of mentally ill celebs and others who are speaking out and writing books about their illness, coming out of the closet, etc. One prominent example is the actress Lorraine Bracco, of Goodfellas fame (she played the long-suffering wife) who has been appearing in public service announcements boldly admitting her depression, that meds helped her, that depression is a treatable illness, etc.

Conversely, the book the Hypomanic Edge is perhaps an attempt to exploit and glamorize the positive aspects of BP, I don't know. The author seems to think that now everyone wants to be hypomanic--without the downside of those nasty-wasty depressions, of course. Nevertheless, he seems to feel that some of our country's greatest leaders have been bonkers, and that America in general attracts immigrants who are sometimes just hypomanic enough to leave their home country and travel here with the ballsy idea that they can carve out a better life for themselves. Moreover, he thinks that these wackos have made America the great country it is.

There is much evidence to suggest that many of the greatest artists and thinkers of all time, as Anastasia points out, have been mentally ill. Being MI certainly tends to make one think "outside the box," sometimes in brilliant ways.

I personally find that the fellow MI's I have come to know can be much more "normal" (and interesting, and empathetic) than normies. There are a great many "normal" assholes out there, and some of them are "carriers"--i.e., they exist to make OTHER people crazy. What is their "excuse" if they are so stable? There are also a helluva lot of people with sociopathic tendencies as well, who will step over anyone and anything in their path to get what they want. Many of them are perceived as normal--but not by me. They are morally ill.

It may be that I have developed too thick a skin regarding things such as the station id. I don't know. I think that all maligned groups have had to speak out and speak out loud for a long time to be heard and gain the respect they deserve. ACT UP and the gay pride parade is one example of how gays threw the stereotype back in everyone's face and made them...ahem...eat it. I don't think we've reached this stage yet. At any rate, that is kind of what I have been striving to do in my own small way.

I feel that part of the prob is that some mentally ill people are still self-loathing themselves. They are ashamed to come out of the closet, and thus become "part of the problem." It is understandable, but very little progress will take place until then. As I said, I'm amazed that so many MI celebs have taken this brave step.

There is a fine line between genius and madness indeed. Normal is boring, I say! I'm proud to be a loony.

And so, although I did not personally find the station ID particularly offensive, perhaps I was wrong, I don't know. In any case, I applaud your efforts, and I am astounded that the station responded so quickly. Perhaps if more of us wackos started speaking up as you have, we could speed up the acceptance of mental illness and stop hiding and cowering in the closet.

As former NYC mayor Ed Koch used to say, "How'm I doing?"

 
At August 02, 2005 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Henry I think the new HtML stuff etc that you are using on your blog is awesome! I am impressed by your developing skills and abilities. It looks great. I hope to someday find the will and follow through to do similar. It will probably end up being in another lifetime, but I guess better late than never!

 
At August 02, 2005 2:44 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

Oy vey--I've really gone and done it this time.

If Henry's ass was burning before, I really wound up BBQ'ing it to a crisp, and for that I am truly and deeply sorry.

Once again, I commend you, H, for your valiant and successful attempt to let this radio station know how you felt. I know if someone called me a dirty kike (or even a clean one), for example, I would be hopping mad. I guess referring to myself as a loony, psychotic, deranged, raving, shithouse rat for so long has "immunized" me from the defamatory implications of the word "psycho"--but I definitely see your point.

Speaking of which--New York Magazine recently ran a cover story entitled Celebrity Psychos--The Summer they all Went Mad. The cover pic features Tom Cruise and his newest ladylove Katie Holmes caught with maniacal expressions on their faces, attired in straitjackets. In small type, the cover says: "NOTE: This is a manipulated image. They're not crazy enough to pose for a picture like this." The article itself features pix of Courtney Love, Russell Crowe, Christian Slater, and Dave Chappelle--also in straitjackets. Woo-hoo! Check it out...

 
At August 06, 2005 2:40 PM, Blogger Preston said...

What goes up, must come down.

I'm changing things up a bit and will be moving away from some of this type of rant.

I think that there was a misunderstanding about what transpired with the folks at JACK FM. My discussion with Mr. Ebbot was wholly cordial. He was a gracious and understanding fellow. We even laughed about the blurb, and that idiot, Tom Cruise. If California were a one-party consent state, I would have made you all privy to our conversation. That would have prevented much of the confusion.

It's all good. =8-P

Small wheel turn by the fire and rod.
Big wheel turn by the grace of God.
Every time that wheel turn 'round,
Bound to cover just a little more ground.

PS: E, I got the article; all I can say is, "Oh, they're all idiots!" LOL

 
At August 06, 2005 11:07 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Aha! Henry. There comes out the poet in you...yes!

 
At August 06, 2005 11:29 PM, Blogger Preston said...

Thank you, Rob; I wish I could, but I can not take credit for creating the words for which you praise me. However, I am more than happy to share.

=:-D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home