Babblings

Please proceed with caution. Hazards may lie ahead. Some material may not be suitable for children. Viewer discretion is advised. Please follow the "Netiquette" hyperlink (just below here and to the right) for some notes on the customs of this blog.

8/31/2005

Skin Illustrations

There's been a bunch of recent talk about body art (aka tattooing); people are talking about who has them and why they have them. Why people choose this form of expression is difficult to fathom, as this form of self-adornment means many things to many people.

Tattooing has a long history going back over 5000 years. Cultures around the world practice the art. However, since it was forbidden in The Old Testament and by the Torah, Europeans were without this custom for the majority of the last two millennia.

Because of this religious intolerance, and the social stratification which existed in the monarchies of European societies during the 18th century, the sailors who returned with "souveniers" from their voyages to Aisa and the South Pacific were often looked down upon. They were seen as marks of paganism. Hence, Western cultures have regarded tattoos, and tattooed people, with a mixture of xenophobia, classism, and anti-apostasism.

Discussion of this topic would be incomplete without reference to a seminal book published in the early 90's: Modern Primitives. The editors have compiled a collection of essays and interviews. The entries actually range through the entire spectrum of Modern Primitivism (aka Modprim), including piercing, branding, scarification, and whole host of other delights. You will find an interview with Fakir, regarded to be the father of the Modprim movement. But, the one that fascinates me the most is the story of ManWoman. After reading about him, you will never look at tattoos or swastikas the same.

Around the time this book was published, there was an incredible growth in the acceptance and availability of tattoos. Tattoo shops were springing up everywhere; I remember Santa Barbara going from one shop to eight in a 3 year period while I was in college there. This is when I began my affair with skin art. For me, skin illustrations have always been an iconic form of transmitting information. Take a look at my first piece, done by Jeff Rassier:


The character up front is The Lorax of Dr. Suess fame. He's standing in the classic "orator's pose". Behind him is a hemp leaf (aka Cannabis sativa); he's speaking out and telling everyone, "I speak for the trees. Grow hemp if you please."

Many people say that tattoos are addicting; I think they may be right. I've got ideas for all kinds of tattoos, but they are usually squelched by the cost of a tattoo fix. For my next illustration, I decided on getting some work done in New York:


This is actually a two-part tattoo. The colored center, symbolically representing the universal energy (Qi) was the first part, done by some nutty woman on the Lower East Side. She did a very poor job, but when I went to have it fixed up by adding the tribal portions on the outside, the second artist was surprised and stated that the woman in question usually did very good work. Well, Craig Cooley from Abstract Tribal fixed it up nice.

Next, while I was in the Marine Diving Technologies program, I got a little memento:


This reproduction of the MDT program's logo was done by Sebastian Orth in the late 90's. The coincidence is that this past spring my buddy Emmet benefited from Sebastian's fine work as well.

Well, all this talk about tattoos kinda got me hankering for some fresh ink. Even my wife suddenly became interested and started thinking about it. She's a tattoo virgin and her birthday was coming up, so I recently treated her and myself to another little visit to Sebastian, since Emmet had reminded me of his talents:


And here's the finshed product:


Happy Birthday, sweetie!


Well, I hope you've enjoyed my little show and tell; let me know what you think.

©2005 hpb©reations

4 Comments:

At September 01, 2005 9:57 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Lovely video, H. It took me several millenia to see it all, but with the added incentive of the smily ex-tatoo-virgin I had to see. I believe in self expression as long as you're not hurting others with your beliefs (this was not exactly how I wanted to say it, but, wth). You two make a great match, and the toos look great on you. Happy b/day, mrs HB!! I don't believe in opening extra holes or adding tints to my body, I have enough birthmarks and sunfreckles, but I admire a well placed, estetically pleasing one on whoever chooses to have it.

 
At September 02, 2005 8:34 AM, Blogger Diana Crabtree said...

Great post and I LOVE the video!

My favorite part is your wife's calm serene smile while she has a needle pulsing in and out of her epidermis! She is a hard-ass!

 
At September 04, 2005 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike was in the Navy during the Viet Nam saga, and it was common for military guys to get tatoos for easier body ID in case parts became separated from the whole. So he has a few.

One is a double heart threaded by Cupid's arrow, with his wife's name across it. His first wife. Luckily, his second wife's name also begins with 'A' and is 3 letters long, so a crafty 'too'ist was able to disappear/replace 2 of the letters. Viola, rebranded. Maybe that part of his wife-choosing criteria?? ~not even close :)

Thanks for the show 'n tell 'n commentary. Fun movie segment, too. Go, Lioness!

 
At September 11, 2005 8:37 PM, Blogger Preston said...

Synternet:
Thanks for the compliments on the video. I wasn't sure how it would really go over, but it seems that most find it entertaining. Yeah, skin art is a deeply personal endeavor. I always have to give extended, concerted thought to the works I finally get. BTW, it's time for a new dictionary. Mine has those definitions, as well as this:

A mark or design made on the skin by pricking and ingraining an indelible dye or by raising scars.

Hmmm, I know one tattooist reknowned for her revolting attitude and causing tattoos to become scars. I suggest you do NOT visit her. LOL

Rob:
Sorry about the bandwidth of the videos; you just got to let me know, and I will be glad to email them to you. It might be easier to download them in the background and then watch them at your leisure. Or, you could move into the 21st century and get a high speed connection. =8-P

No worries, I won't hold it against you if you are not inked. You are right: It's all about personal choice. I respect yours and you respect mine. That's awesome!

Diana:
Thanks for stopping by, and I'm glad you liked the video. The wife really loved your comment about her steely demeanor. Yeah, she's a tough bitch! LOL I'm just joshing; she's a sweety and it just wasn't that bad. Each of those pieces took less than 5 minutes to apply, and now it's a life time of enjoyment.

Annish:
They are doing great things in the feild of remaking tattoos. Glad it was a relatively easy job to rebirth that old work of Mike's into something new for the two of you to enjoy. Thanks for coming for a visit.
Roar!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home