Babblings

Please proceed with caution. Hazards may lie ahead. Some material may not be suitable for children. Viewer discretion is advised. Please follow the "Netiquette" hyperlink (just below here and to the right) for some notes on the customs of this blog.

8/09/2005

# 9




Fill your bowl to the brim
and it will spill.
Keep sharpening your knife
and it will blunt.
Chase after money and security
and your heart will never unclench.
Care about other people's approval
and you will be their prisoner.

Do your work, then step back.
The only path to serenity.


Lao Tzu

3 Comments:

At August 10, 2005 11:47 PM, Blogger Rob said...

My abuelo raised me to believe in what can be done with one's hands. If your busy making the soup last enough for everybody, you will probably Never fill your bowl to overflowing. As for sharpening the knife, well, those great knive are forever sharp. And care for others and you will be cared for. As for stating the obvious...I do that often. rob

 
At August 16, 2005 7:19 AM, Blogger elvira black said...

Very beautiful...amazing how Eastern philosophies can say in a few words what Westerners often seem to take a book to say. Probably not wholly true, but this really does pack a punch. I intend to learn more...

 
At August 22, 2005 12:24 AM, Blogger Preston said...

Synternet:
The second quote is one that I often relate to others; the first one is new to me. Thank you for feeding my brain.

Brink:
I see you are putting into practice the first part: Do your work. However, do not forget about the second part: then step back. I find it's important, yet difficult, to follow through on the second part. Sometimes you just have to know that the job is done.

Rob:
Your Granpappy sounds almost as wise as Lao Tzu; thank you for helping me look from a new perspective.

Milka:
Danke. I think.

Elvira:
That's one of the things that always grabs me about Taoist writings. You know the expression, "A picture is worth a thousand words"; well, that's exactly what hanzi is: little pictures. If you read the Tao Te Ching in Chinese, you'd be amazed at how even fewer "words" are required.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home