Babblings

Please proceed with caution. Hazards may lie ahead. Some material may not be suitable for children. Viewer discretion is advised. Please follow the "Netiquette" hyperlink (just below here and to the right) for some notes on the customs of this blog.

9/08/2005

Take a Break Here

Everywhere is abuzz with news on Hurricane Katrina and the tragedy of those in New Orleans and all of the affected areas of the Gulf Coast. The whole mess weighs heavy on me. I wanted to post here about the issue, but no matter how I think about it, nothing seems right.

I finally realized I needed some respite from all of it, so I shut down the computers and mostly turned off the TV for the past few days. After a few days in semi-hibernation, I've come to think that many of us need to take a short break from some of the stress that the magnitude of this disaster is causing. All of the images, the information, the talk, the accusations, etc., etc. It's overwhelming and over-stimulating at times.

Here's a chance to take a 5 or 10 minute mental break from the chaos; you can return to the news and world events immediately afterwards. I offer some pictures of various flowers from around my yard as a simple way to just unwind and let your mind focus on something pleasant for just a few moments:

Rosa spp. cv. 'Peace'
Peace Rose

Gladiolus spp.
Prosperity Gladiolus

Phalaenopsis spp.
Uknown Orchid variety

Abutilon hybridum
Chinese Lantern Maple

Gladiolus spp.
Orange Sherbert Gladiolus

Passiflora edulis
Passion Flower


Well, I hope you have enjoyed taking a little break from the hectic events of the past week.

As promised, you can return to the current events by following any of the links below:
       
               


©2005 hpb©reations

6 Comments:

At September 08, 2005 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks, Henry, I enjoyed the tour and the fresh air. You are wise, and subtle when needed. Blog on!

~Ann

 
At September 08, 2005 10:31 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Beautiful flowers, Henry. A breath of fresh air, I don't even want to get started on the stupidity penny wise pound foolish approach to this avoidable tragedy. This was an act of terrorism of the worst kind because it includes treason. Of course, they're not rich nor ... I don't want to start.

 
At September 09, 2005 11:26 AM, Blogger Preston said...

Annish, Rob, and Synternet:
I'm glad you all stopped by and were able to get a little downtime. I appreciate that the mentions of recent events were kept to a minimum; I want to keep this post as a place to get away from some of the daily grind for a few moments.

Oh yeah, thanks for the Louis Armstrong mention. It's very apropos. He was my father's favorite performer, so I spent my young childhood hearing quite a bit of him.

 
At September 09, 2005 6:01 PM, Blogger Walker said...

I love the flowers.
I'm odd in this aspect. I'm a bouncer and was a hard core fighter/drug dealer but I always planted most of the flowers you are showing here in my front garden and still do.
Shows that there is beauty in the world and it's not all ugly.
Have a nice day.

 
At September 09, 2005 7:48 PM, Blogger Paul Coambs said...

Henry,

Thanks for the heads up on the VC Reporter article.

SVS

 
At September 11, 2005 5:54 PM, Blogger Preston said...

Walker:
Thanks for stopping by; I hope you are mending well from your trauma. I'm happy you enjoyed the flowers and to hear that you enjoy the labors of the garden. It's one of the reasons I moved out of the nastiness of NYC: way too much concrete.

Paul:
No problem on the heads up; I'm sure we'll be seeing each other around.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home